Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bad Mushrooms



I'm sure that we've all seen the videos of atomic and nuclear weapons tests and we're all familiar with that distinct mushroom cloud associated with them. Ever wonder what causes the mushroom cloud? I did.

A mushroom cloud can be created by any large explosion, not just nuclear ones. In fact volcanoes often form these clouds. What happens is a large explosion causes a great amount of heat. The heated air from the explosion is less dense than the surrounding air so it rises just like a hot air balloon would. This forms the shaft of the cloud.

Once the heated air reaches an altitude where the surrounding air is as thin as it is then it begins to expand and dissipate, this is the mushroom part.

6 comments:

Nathaniel Carolina said...

Interesting! And thanks for that wonderful comment! Have a great day! :)

Anonymous said...

A geeky blog, cool! :) I was about to sleep now but I couldn't help reading your posts. xD I'll stay tuned on your blog, for more. :D

Unknown said...

mushrooms are good to eat too.
and thanks for posting my promocode

eve cleveland said...

Nawww, I didn't know any of that..and I still don't git it. Had fun though. I came over cause I liked your caption at Dad the Dude's. You is funny.
Eve

PlancksPost said...

Hansthane & Squidring,...thanks your blog really does rock...I love replacing the brain cells I drink away with worthless but interesting knowledge so I'll stay tuned!

Mike....the only mushrooms I've seen you eat landed you 10 months in a state sponsored facility.

Eve, thanks for checking me out...hope you'll come back now, ya hear!

Berthe Mason said...

The mushroom cloud is caused by discharge of synchrotronic radiation. It reaches a point of instability and then collapses into the familiar shape around the vertical axis or column. The same is seen in volcanoes because they emit electric discharge - hence you see lightning too. Its not heat per se but gamma radiation reaching a point of collapse.